Ask The Doctor-Will surgery help my scar tissue?

orange flowerThis week, James E. Craigie, MD, of The Center for Natural Breast Reconstruction answers your question.

Question: I have scar tissue in my right breast from a horse bite that occurred when I was about 11 years old. I am now 43. Each year it has caused doctors to require repeated mammograms , ultrasounds, and non MRI’s. Now they are recommending I have a biopsy or have the scar tissue removed. I was wondering about having it removed by a plastic surgeon to decrease scaring. Do you think that is possible?

Answer: Sorry you are having problems with your scar. Did you have surgery after your horse bite accident? Did the injury lead to your breasts being uneven? I think you have a very good question and its possible that a plastic surgeon could help. Because of the nature of the injury it is possible that the scar could be removed and the breast reshaped in the process to allow healing to occur in a more favorable way and create a more favorable scar. I would need more information to give you more specific answers. I would be glad to see you in consult or if that’s not convenient, have my office contact you for more specific details and possible photos. Let me know. Thank you for your question.

Have a question about breast reconstruction or post-surgical you’d like answered from our surgical team? Just ask!